Thursday, April 4, 2013

Week 3, Day 18

Wow!  Even here in Nevis, in the West Indies, I am up early and not sleeping awaiting his email.  I miss him insanely bad.  I'm still waiting for this to get easier, but...  He sounds well.  I'm shocked by the letter-writing rule.  Seriously?  I thought all missionaries could write letters during the week.  That's what everyone else seems to be doing...nephew, friend.  Even my dad said I should be getting letters from him soon because he has all week to write letters.  Very depressing.  But he sounds happy, very happy. His email made me laugh.  It's so...Preston.  :) 

Hi guys,
                BEST TIME OF THE ENTIRE WEEK!!!!!!!! I have missed you guys so much as well!! But the time is literally flying by here. It´s awesome. The faster this time goes by the better. The MTC is awful in a good way. So I will respond to your email in a letter mom. I already sent you guys one, but that was before I found out that I am only allowed to write and send letters on P-days. You know, I thought exact obedience was going to be so easy. I was like ´´bring on the rules!´´ but wow, I am having such a hard time with some of them. Especially the ones that I don´t agree with. But I still obey. Even though I really don´t want to sometimes.
                Get this though, so in our room at night all of us will stay up late and talk about different things. Parenting, girls, etc etc. Elder Webb doesn´t really participate a whole lot, but everyone else would. On Sunday Elder Webb and I decided that we need to obey more exactly, referring to actually being quiet after 10:30 and whatnot. So we have been obeying better than before, and we make all of the guys in our room do the same. And Elder Webb and I are getting closer!! It´s crazy, but as soon as we started to obey better, we started to get along better!! Who knew that, when you obey the Lord blesses you!! What an amazing revelation to have at (almost) 19 years old. Yeah. Well I am just grateful that Elder Webb and I are started to hit it off. I think I´ve relaxed more and he´s toned down a bit. Which is great.
                I like my district well enough. I really like this Elder Alhovuori. He´s finnish. We are pretty close. He´s the District Leader. It´s a little weird cause Elder Webb and I are technically higher than him because we´re zone leaders, but there isn´t an authority problem or anything. I love Elder Alhovuori. And Elder Webb. Really. It´s getting better. Elder Alhovuori´s companion is Elder Malan. He is ADHD to the max. I would probably kill him if he was my companion. Not really of course, but everyone knows that it´s a good thing he and I aren´t together. He is the biggest distraction in our district and he just loves making all these stupid comments and references. He is the nicest guy ever, but he has the attention span of a six year old. I love him. But he frustrates me like no other. Haha. And he has a hard time with the hermanas. He is always flirting with them, and it bothers people. So they come to me and ask me to discipline him but I don´t know what to do. So W, A, and I all talked to him and he flipped out. That was a dramatic day. But it´s all better now.  The hermanas in my district are cool. It´s a three some with a girl from Provo called Hermana Christian. She got here a week late. When she first got here she hated it because of how lax it is compared to Provo. But she quickly integrated into the Spanish lifestyle. Now she´s just as distracted as most of them. Sad honestly. Everyone says they cured the Provo out of her, but in my opinion they just infected her with the Madrid disease. The other is Hermana Flake. She turns 22 on April 19th. She is so sweet. Just the sweetest girl ever. I like her a lot, but she is so emotional. So fragile. She will just burst into tears and the teacher will have to take her out and console her. I feel bad. But hopefully her mission helps her out with that. And then Hermana Nielsen. I think she hates me. Or at least dislikes me. She thinks I´m too…grumpy grandpa?? At least that´s the phrase elder malan used. I usually get ticked if we get distracted and then I remind everyone of our district goals and what not and I have a reputation because of it. Hahaha. Not surprising that my reputation is what it is. I´m sure it´s a given to everyone. Well. I am trying to loosen up. To find the perfect balance between cheerful and friendly and mellow, and then still maintaining and attitude of discipline and a good work ethic. It´s difficult. I feel like I have no time for anything. The hours I spend here are precious and I get so angry at myself when I´m laying in my bed at night thinking about the time that I wasted that day. I just need to try harder.
One of the biggest problems is our afternoon teacher, Hermana Delgado. She doesn´t speak hardly any English, and she is the worst teacher ever. I like her as a person, and everyone else loves her to death. I just wish she was more mature. The problem is that we have a three hour block of classes in the afternoon, one class each hour. Delgado teaches all of them. We do fake investigators. The first hour is usually the investigator hour, where the teacher is supposed to act as an investigator having lessons with two of the three companionships, each for a half hour. Because Hermana Delgado just likes to gossip about her life forever with the hermanas, that first hour usually takes 2 hours and 45 minutes. It makes me want to punch a wall. But I was too afraid to go and complain about our teacher because everyone loves her so much. Thankfully Elder Alhovuori said something during the DL/President Sitterud meeting. And she´s been better. Kind of.
I am starting to get into the swing of things. Sometimes I worry that my Spanish isn´t improving, but my teachers say that it is. I just need to push myself. I slack off a ton. If I really put effort into it I could learn it much faster than I am. 
I am not going to gain weight here. The food isn´t bad. Although it´s making all of us kind of sick, it´s not fattening or anything. I´ve been sick on and off here. Kind of annoying. I work out every day instead of playing sports. I´m not much of a soccer player so I lift with Easton and some other elders. I love it. So sorry to disappoint you Dad, but you were totally wrong when it comes to me gaining weight!!
I will say more in my letters. I don´t have much time as you well know. I am really excited because today we are going to the Prado, which is the second biggest art museum in Europe!! And we are going to a sword store which is right next to it. Although it´s tempting to blow all of my money on a sword, I will try not to. I don´t know what I would do with a sword for two years. I really want a Cristus statue. But they cost a lot here. I PLACED FOUR BOOKS OF MORMON LAST SATURDAY!! AND GOT THREE REFERENCES!!! Greatest feeling ever. I wrote about it in my letter. Anyway. Elder Webb and I are getting closer, and we´re trying to be better. It´s amazing how much better things get once Elder Webb and I got closer. It changed a lot. We go through the Temple every Thursday. It´s so hard to stay awake. I´ve been so tired lately. I fall asleep every day in my morning classes. Well I don´t know what to say. I feel like I wanted to tell you more.
I will write!! Please know that although I love emails and want to get them from everyone, they don´t even compare to letters. Really. When mail comes all the missionaries stampede down the hall and push and shove until they get to the stack of mail. And not getting a letter is the worst. But getting a letter is the greatest feeling ever. Seriously. I don´t know what it is, but getting a letter brings such an indescribable joy. Packages are probably better. But that´s it. So write if you can! It means so much. Well I am out of time. I hope you sent my package here instead of to the mission home. Because if so I won´t get it until I get into the field. And I would probably cry. Not really. I only cry when I think about Quincey and Lincoln. I can´t believe they will be 9 and 10 when I get home. That is the hardest thing for me. Ugh. I tear up every time I think about it. Tell them I love them. And everyone else.
I will write!! Love you so much. Thanks for all of the support you give me!
All my love,
                               Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment