Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hello :) 

I am so happy right now!! I have some really uplifiting piano music going, and life just couldn´t get better. Seriously. Well...

We had the best week ever. Honestly I don´t know why Heavenly Father is blessing so much. So I left off last week when we were about to go try and set a baptismal date with P, who has been an investigator since my second week here. We always teach him with his girlfriend, who is the niece of a member family in our ward. It has been a little difficult because the members have been really trying to take things slow with him, and that´s not what missionaries are supposed to do. But we respected the wishes of the members, who know P way better than we do. Finally, last week at church, they asked us to go and try to set a fecha with him. We had never met with him alone before. So this was huge. And I was excited. The girlfriend, M, is simply not prepared and doesn´t have the desires like P did. Which is why the members were holding back so much. The aunt really wanted the niece, M, to be baptized. With time :) So we met with P in the capilla, and it was just the three of us. FOR THE FIRST TIME ever. And it went horribly. Seriously horribly. I sounded silly and Erickson had a bad spanish day as well. And the Spirit just wasn´t really there. P did not like the date. At all. He said he doesn´t want to feel pressured. He just said ¨No.¨ And so I just wanted to stick my head in the ground. But we sat there. And listened for a while. And then we asked him, "do you know this is true?¨ and he said yes. And then we said ¨do you know that heavenly father wants you to get baptized?¨ and he said yes. And then we said ¨Well P, it looks like you have some praying to do. We know you are afraid, and we know that you feel pressured, by us, by your friends, your family, etc. But none of that matters. What matters is what your heavenly father wants you to do.¨ So we had him promise that he would go home and pray and ask. And that was it. So about three days later we got a call from P and he asked if we could do another FHE in D and R´s house, which would have been the second one that week because we went straight from the capilla to their house that monday and had an FHE. I honestly didn´t think much of it, but we agreed to go and met him there at 9:30 on thursday. So we taught about ¨dare to stand alone¨ and used the mormon message to help us teach it. After we were done teaching we all went around the room and talked about our feelings about all of it, and P went last. And he just looked up at us (Missionaries, D and R, the aunt and uncle, and his gfriend) and said, ¨I have prayed about it. I am going to be baptized this month.¨ And we all just sat there. That is the first time that I have ever cried because of an investigator. But I totally did. R and D started crying, and M (who had already known) starting crying, and then I did. I was just so happy. I had prayed and prayed for Heavenly Father to give P an answer, and He did. P will be baptized on the 22nd. I was just overjoyed. P is the best young man I have ever met. I would never be that righteous were it not for the Church. He is an honest young man that only wants to do what is right. He has a few chapters left until finishes the entire book of mormon. And he is also going to serve a mission. I am so so happy for him. 

MIRACLE NUMBER TWO

(I can't really include this story- as there are so many specific details.  But it was awesome.  He has a family he's been teaching and they were working with the young boy, who is 10 or 11.  They wanted his step-father to be baptized too, but they knew he was waiting and not quite ready.  In the process of one of their discussions, the boy finally said he'd get baptized when his dad did.  Long story short- the dad agreed right there that night for him and his son to be baptized this month.  His reasons that he had been holding back were super touching and he didn't want anyone to know.  But it was the most selfless and giving thing! Preston was really overwhelmed and just thinks the absolute world of this sweet family, and he is very excited for them.)   

Honestly I am so overjoyed for these people. I really don´t know why Heavenly Father is blessing us so much. I really do know that I am nothing though. We seriously do not do anything. Sometimes I feel like a bumbling idiot that walks around trying to get into people´s houses and teach something in Spanish and, miraculously, the Lord is blessing us with baptisms. I know it isn´t anything that we did. The Spirit is changing the hearts of these wonderful people that have received testimonies by their own efforts, not because of anything that we did. It is so incredible to watch the miracle of conversion take place in these people´s lives. 

I have so much to say, and so little time to say it. I really wish I had time to write all of the feelings of my heart. Apart from all of the wonderful people that are choosing to be baptized this month, I am just truly happy. FINALLY the 18 months that I have left is beginning to become a relief instead of a discouragment. 18 more months to grow, to meet more people, to share what I love with all my heart with the people that I love with all of my heart. I truly love this gospel. As I study and preach this good news, I become more and more convinced. I am so completely convinced of the perfection of God´s plan. This world was perfectly designed into a place where we could learn and progress and grow. As we love and serve others, we grow and progress so much faster than we would otherwise. And we are also happiest when we are not thinking of ourselves. Of that I am sure. This is hard, but I get to wake up every morning and worry about other people. For two years, I am totally focused on others. What a blessing that is. And I am just barely beginning to realize it. I know this is true. And anyone can know it. I have come to appreciate this in so many different ways. The Atonement and the Savior especially, as well as the Book of Mormon. 

I am about out of time. I started a letter for you today mom and I will try and answer all of your questions in that letter. I really wish I had more time to tell you everything. I am so excited to live life. I love the mission, and I am excited to have a family and teach my children everything I am learning. I will have to read that book you´re talking about for sure. Sounds awesome. Well I am out of time. I will answer your questions, I promise. I love you so much. Spencer should be so excited :) It really is the greatest thing I have ever done. And life only gets better from here :) How very blessed we are. You´re all always in my prayers. I love you

Elder Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment